Skip to main content

MarsEdit and Blogging

MarsEdit
MarsEdit (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Mailing posts to blogs, a practice I adopted in 2005, allows a blogger like me to store copies of draft posts within email. If Blogger, WordPress, or the blogging platform of the moment crashes or for some other reason eats my posts, at least I have the original drafts of most entries. I find having such a nicely organized archive convenient — much easier than remembering to archive posts from Blogger or WordPress to my computer.

With this post, I am testing MarsEdit from Red Sweater Software based on recent reviews, including an overview on 9to5Mac.

Composing posts an email offers a fast way to prepare draft blogs, but the email does not always work well if you want to include basic formatting, images, and links to online resources. Submitting to Blogger via Apple Mail often produced complex HTML with unnecessary font and paragraph formatting styles. Problems with rich text led me to convert blog entries to plaintext in Apple Mail and then format the blog entries within Blogger. This meant simple things such as italicizing titles or formatting words in bold required rereading each blog entry.

A greater challenge exists with images, which always seemed to be converted to a small size. Unfortunately it does seem to be a problem with Blogger as a platform.
NOTE: I was correct that images posed a problem, with the images I included within MarsEdit not making the move to Blogger. Repeated attempts to include images failed, even as MarsEdit's media browser displays a screenshot from itself as uploaded.
It is my hope that MarsEdit reduces my time formatting blog entries.

Admittedly, I have chosen to remain with Google’s aging platform instead of migrating to WordPress at this time. MarsEdit appears to be well suited to WordPress, with support for features found within that dominant blogging platform. For example, the tags and categories permitted by WordPress are nicely implemented within MarsEdit. Likewise, media features within MarsEdit directly support WordPress.

With blog entries dating back to 2005, migrating to another server and URL might reduce traffic to my blogs. However, there are clear benefits to migrating at some point in the future if I wish to use tools like MarsEdit and increase revenues with more flexible ad services.

Dictating into MarsEdit with Dragon speech recognition proved to be painless. MarsEdit works flawlessly with Dragon and the macOS language tools. Spell checking and grammar checking works properly within the edit window.

The ability to compose blog entries off-line and having a complete archive of entries are important features to me. The ability to compose entries and post them promptly without having to reformat blog entry drafts would be nice.

Red Sweater Software generously offers a 14-day trial. Over the next two weeks I hope to determine if I should adopt MarsEdit in place of Apple Mail. I will need to learn how to schedule blogs and if some features can be implemented with minimal hassle, such as advertising links and Amazon links within blog posts.

Comments

  1. Hi C.S. - this is Daniel Jalkut, the developer of MarsEdit. Thanks for giving it a look. Can you tell me more about the image upload problems you were having with MarsEdit? If this is an older Blogger blog that is not associated with a Google+ profile, it might explain it. More about that here: https://red-sweater.com/blog/3233/bloggers-obfuscated-ids

    If that isn't the issue, I'd love to hear more. If you can drop me a line at support at red-sweater.com, that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent along some more information. Yes, this is a Google+ linked profile on Blogger.

      If I were posting more regularly, I'd likely give up on Blogger and migrate to an install of WordPress. I have more than a decade of posts, however.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learning to Program

Late last night I installed the update to Apple's OS X programming tool suite, Xcode 4. This summer, in my "free" time I intend to work my way through my old copy of Teach Yourself C and the several Objective-C books I own. While I do play with various languages and tools, from AppleScript to PHP, I've never managed to master Objective-C — which is something I want to do. As I've written several times, knowing simple coding techniques is a practical skill and one that helps learn problem solving strategies. Even my use of AppleScript and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) on a regular basis helps remind me to tackle problems in distinct steps, with clear objectives from step to step. There are many free programming tools that students should be encouraged to try. On OS X, the first two tools I suggest to non-technical students are Automator and AppleScript. These tools allow you to automate tasks on OS X, similar to the batch files of DOS or the macros of Wor