Skip to main content

Learning to Code: Selecting a Language

If you decide that learning computer programming offers students much needed critical thinking (and job) skills, then the next question is which language(s) should be taught to which students.

Computer programming changes, so any opinion I offer will be bad advice in a few years. What I offer below are my views at this moment, and they reflect my biases as a programmer.

Suggestion One: C

It's not flashy, it's not trendy, and it isn't the first choice of most programming courses. Yet, C is the language of operating systems, programmable controllers, and a lot of portable logic. When you learn C, it's easy to transport those skills to almost any modern language.

C compilers are free, there are many integrated development environments (IDEs), and lots of resources are available for learning. You can code C in any text editor, too, and compile from a command line.

For OS X and Windows, I suggest using the tools from Apple and Microsoft to learn C, C++, and either Objective-C or C#. Microsoft offers VisualStudio Express for free, as does Apple.


The LLVM Project offers great C/C++ tools, but they do require some skill to install and configure. The GNU Compiler Collection is older and better known than LLVM, serving as the foundation for many open source projects.


If you do opt for open source tools, the two most popular IDEs are Eclipse and Netbeans. Originally intended for Java development, both IDEs offer good C/C++ programming experiences. And, if you feel the need to learn Java, these are the tools professional Java developers prefer.


Suggestion Two: JavaScript

This won't be a popular suggestion among many programmers, but JavaScript remains an important language on the World Wide Web and its basic syntax teaches skills that transfer. With Apple's recent announcement that JavaScript will replace AppleScript as its primary operating system "scripting" language, there's one more reason to learn the language.

JavaScript (officially ECMAScript) has the benefit of working in all major browsers, on all major computing platforms. If you have a text editor and a browser, you can learn to code JavaScript. It's free and it is everywhere.

Why would I suggest JavaScript, an interpreted language with some annoyances? Because if you want to develop modern Web apps, you will end up using JavaScript.

There are many tutorials on the Web for learning JavaScript, and dozens of good free books.


Other Possibilities

I still like BASIC dialects for teaching programming to young students.


Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) in Microsoft Office is still valuable, but falling out of favor as more companies disable macros. I understand the security concerns, but VBA makes Excel and Access what they are. Complex Word macros in VBA are also part of my life.

For younger students, MIT still offers versions of LOGO that are fun.


Apple's Swift looks promising. It's still not finished, but there are free books and guides online from Apple.

Java is fine, and as mentioned above the tools are free.

What about Ruby, Python, or PHP? Scripting languages offer instant satisfaction, a lot like BASIC did in the dark ages of home computing. If you have to choose one, I'd be torn between Python and Ruby. Most of my students learn Python and use it with R for statistical analyses.

I still believe Pascal was great for learning. And my wife and I both learned Fortran in the 1980s.

There are hundreds of computer programming languages out there, but in the end the tools provided by Microsoft and Apple tend to dominate the industry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MarsEdit and Blogging

MarsEdit (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) Mailing posts to blogs, a practice I adopted in 2005, allows a blogger like me to store copies of draft posts within email. If Blogger , WordPress, or the blogging platform of the moment crashes or for some other reason eats my posts, at least I have the original drafts of most entries. I find having such a nicely organized archive convenient — much easier than remembering to archive posts from Blogger or WordPress to my computer. With this post, I am testing MarsEdit from Red Sweater Software based on recent reviews, including an overview on 9to5Mac . Composing posts an email offers a fast way to prepare draft blogs, but the email does not always work well if you want to include basic formatting, images, and links to online resources. Submitting to Blogger via Apple Mail often produced complex HTML with unnecessary font and paragraph formatting styles. Problems with rich text led me to convert blog entries to plaintext in Apple Mail

Learning to Program

Late last night I installed the update to Apple's OS X programming tool suite, Xcode 4. This summer, in my "free" time I intend to work my way through my old copy of Teach Yourself C and the several Objective-C books I own. While I do play with various languages and tools, from AppleScript to PHP, I've never managed to master Objective-C — which is something I want to do. As I've written several times, knowing simple coding techniques is a practical skill and one that helps learn problem solving strategies. Even my use of AppleScript and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) on a regular basis helps remind me to tackle problems in distinct steps, with clear objectives from step to step. There are many free programming tools that students should be encouraged to try. On OS X, the first two tools I suggest to non-technical students are Automator and AppleScript. These tools allow you to automate tasks on OS X, similar to the batch files of DOS or the macros of Wor

Learning to Code: Comments Count

I like comments in computer programming source code. I've never been the programmer to claim, "My code doesn't need comments." Maybe it is because I've always worked on so many projects that I need comments  to remind me what I was thinking when I entered the source code into the text editor. Most programmers end up in a similar situation. They look at a function and wonder, "Why did I do it this way?" Tangent : I also like comments in my "human" writing projects. One of the sad consequences of moving to digital media is that we might lose all the little marginalia authors and editors leave on manuscript drafts. That thought, the desire to preserve my notes, is worthy of its own blog post — so watch for a post on writing software and notes. Here are my rules for comments: Source code files should begin with identifying comments and an update log. Functions, subroutines, and blocks of code should have at least one descriptive comment.