Skip to main content

Exercise Your Brain for Success

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley
July 2008 Issue
June 7, 2008

Exercise Your Brain for Success

Crosswords, Lingo, Sudoku, and “Brain Age” games are among the most popular cartridges for the Nintendo DS handheld game system. Among students using the popular social Web site Facebook, versions of Scrabble and Boggle are the most popular games.

As a teacher, I am thrilled. Word games dominating a popular Web site? I definitely did not see this coming. There are places to share scores, discuss strategies, and exchange user-created puzzles.

Because I specialize in learning disabilities and special education, I’m especially excited to discover that students living with dyslexia and similar “decoding” challenges seem to enjoy these games.

I’m not sure what started the craze, but anything that gets students wondering what a five-letter synonym for “remove” is can’t be bad. (The answer was “purge.”)

When I was growing up, my mother always had a Dell Crossword or Find-a-Word book nearby. If she didn’t have a book handy, she’d write down a large word and start rearranging the letters. Now, a new generation has discovered these same puzzles in a new form.

Just as the game “Dance Dance Revolution” and the Nintendo Wii are getting people to move, now the game companies have realized there’s a market for exercising brains.

There are mixed research results on brain games, with some studies finding a noticeable but short-lived improvement on intelligence tests. I have to believe that these games are better for people of all ages than the typical “blood and gore” first-person mayhem we find in Grand Theft Auto or Quake.

Oddly enough, the studies that found the benefits of brain games did not last had the participants quit playing. In other words, if the volunteer stopped exercising, the skills faded. Trust me, any teacher will tell you that after summer students have forgotten all sorts of information and skills. You have to use your brain to keep it fit.

I cannot imagine someone who enjoys vocabulary or puzzle games quitting “cold turkey” to watch eight hours a day of television. Yes, players might grow tired of some games, but they can and will find new puzzles. The great thing about puzzle games is that you get addicted to the thrill of solving increasingly difficult puzzles.

After watching my students with Nintendo DS consoles, I decided to purchase my own. I now have a half-dozen brain games, which I find myself playing most evenings. My students definitely opened my eyes.

The computer and Nintendo crossword games I play offer thousands of puzzles. If I really want to stretch my vocabulary, I can select a thematic crossword puzzle—from astronomy to zoology. Like me, students end up wondering what new words will appear in a puzzle.

Anything that expands the vocabularies of my students is a great thing. Too often I have found students unable to appreciate words and phrases from classic literature because “no one speaks like that anymore.” Games make these rare and even odd words more fun than I ever could.

In a classroom, games end up dominated by one or two students, even at the college level—and yes, even college students enjoy a game when reviewing terminology. There will always be one or two well-read students, with vocabularies better than those of most Jeopardy champions. Competition can end up counterproductive.

Because my students seem to love old-fashioned word games, as long as they are on a computer screen, I decided it would be great to customize puzzles. The fantastic application Crossword Forge (http://www.solrobots.com/) lets teachers, or anyone, create computer-based and traditional crossword puzzles for Windows and OS X. You can even post the puzzles to Web pages. For variety, the program can create word search puzzles, too.

Crosswords and word searches are ideal for individual play. It’s one player against the puzzle. You can start and stop whenever you want; just like the Dell books, computers save your games for later. There’s very little pressure, but a great sense of accomplishment when you do complete a puzzle.

Students with learning disabilities can take breaks from puzzles. They can correct errors as many times as they want. With a crossword or word search, everyone can end up with a perfect score.

I never imagined computers would be teaching my students patience, but that seems to be the case. A young lady told me that she’s worked on a Nintendo Sudoku puzzle for several days. She kept at it until she solved the puzzle. “Every puzzle has a solution, so you can’t give up,” she explained. That’s a great attitude towards every problem.

Number games, like Sudoku or even the ubiquitous Mine Sweeper, teach players to look for patterns. Nothing is really hidden if you think about the puzzle long enough. With each game, you get a little better at recognizing the patterns. Your time improves and you feel successful. I can’t think of a better way to teach basic reasoning and problem-solving skills.

Of course, there is a place for competition.

Facebook’s Scrabble and Boggle games are extremely popular. Apparently, some games are “live” while others allow you to take turns without any time limits. When a student first told me about taking a turn every day, I mentioned “postal chess.” Chess players used to send moves via postcards to each other.

“You can play chess on Facebook or Yahoo,” the student responded, not quite grasping the concept.
I do own a copy of Scrabble for the computer, though I don’t play online. I can play Scrabble against the computer for an hour, easily. When the computer uses a strange word, I can ask for the definition without any penalty. Few human opponents are as understanding. Honestly, I often enjoy playing against the computer more than playing against people.

If I’m learning new words, I’m fairly confident that my students are, too. As their vocabularies and problem-solving skills increase, difficult reading will become less daunting. No, reading won’t become a game, but it will be another puzzle to solve. I’m betting that brain exercise can lead to lasting, and life-changing, results.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...