Skip to main content

Everyone Fights Technology

Sometimes the technology wins.

The reality of computers is that they are still machines. This means that parts wear out — hard drives certainly come to mind. We rely on fragile little boxes, in my case a MacBook Pro, to store our daily work, our family memories, and much more. Even the "non-moving" parts are technically moving on an atomic level, with heat slowly taking a toll. Memory chips start giving "exception errors" and video cards make abstract art of our virtual desktops.

This is why I make lots of backups. It is why I have three external hard drives, and hope the digital demons never cause all three to die at once. One drive is a clone of the MacBook Pro's drive, so if disaster strikes my current work is ready to be revived on another system. The other two are archives, saved for those "I think I did something like that before" moments.

With the preceding in mind, I now admit that even following good, defensive habits is not enough to spare a dedicated geek from hours of pain and suffering.

I spent from noon on Friday until 5 a.m. Saturday trying to revive Word and Excel on my laptop. Though other programs are "compatible" to some extent, I must still use Microsoft Office for some tasks.
Word died a strange and horrible death, refusing to even start.

I read every "user forum" and "knowledge base" article I could locate on both Apple and Microsoft Web sites. I tried dozens of various solutions, but nothing came of any of them. Some made matters worse, others gave false hope.

I resorted to reinstalling Office. When that didn't work, I did a complete removal of everything Microsoft from my computer. I located files in the places Apple is good at hiding from most users (usually to protect the user from doing stupid things). I deleted them all: font caches, preferences, templates, and more. Gone. Not one bit or byte of Microsoft remained.

Another reinstall and another failure.

I rebuilt the disk drive, using Drive Genius. I verified disk permissions. I did everything a good geek would do. Nothing worked. Word still refused to launch.

Finally, I decided to go for the ultimate solution: reinstall the operating system. Thankfully, Apple makes this painless. I downloaded the complete 10.5.6 "combo update" at a whopping 590 megabytes. It took about 20 minutes to download, maybe more. This was every little fix Apple had ever released for the operating system, all in one file. My suspicion was that something in "Rosetta" was corrupt. Rosetta is the technology that allows old software to run on Intel Macintosh hardware.

The install took another 30 minutes, plus two reboots.

It worked! Word and Excel were back to functioning. Life was back to normal... until I realized my customizations of every Office application were gone. Oh, well.

What, you might be asking, does any of this have to do with digital writing and teaching?

Think about the time and energy I invested in simply getting my tools back to functioning. My frustration with the tools of writing was turning into anger. Should a tool make you angry? Should technology leave me wanting my pencil and legal pad?

Actually, I do prefer to write on paper — at least early drafts. Now, I am reminded of why. Paper does not fail me. It does not require 17 hours of horror. Sure, I could have plugged in the clone and worked on another computer, since my documents are always safe. But, what do you do when the applications fail? The documents are useless if you cannot easily open them and get back to work.

Word's revising and version control features do matter to me. Other programs are getting better at these features, thankfully. But, in this case, I'm not sure who to blame... Microsoft or Apple.

No matter what, technology can and does get in the way of writing. At the same time, it makes it possible to do things I could never have done with a typewriter. Love or hate it, I'm not about to do away with the computers.

At least I can sympathize with my students when they fight the technology. The difference is, unlike most of them I can (eventually) get things working again. I sacrifice some sleep, but I do get things back to "normal" eventually.

Now, off to edit student papers using all those revising tools I appreciate in Word.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MarsEdit and Blogging

MarsEdit (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) Mailing posts to blogs, a practice I adopted in 2005, allows a blogger like me to store copies of draft posts within email. If Blogger , WordPress, or the blogging platform of the moment crashes or for some other reason eats my posts, at least I have the original drafts of most entries. I find having such a nicely organized archive convenient — much easier than remembering to archive posts from Blogger or WordPress to my computer. With this post, I am testing MarsEdit from Red Sweater Software based on recent reviews, including an overview on 9to5Mac . Composing posts an email offers a fast way to prepare draft blogs, but the email does not always work well if you want to include basic formatting, images, and links to online resources. Submitting to Blogger via Apple Mail often produced complex HTML with unnecessary font and paragraph formatting styles. Problems with rich text led me to convert blog entries to plaintext in Apple Mail

Learning to Program

Late last night I installed the update to Apple's OS X programming tool suite, Xcode 4. This summer, in my "free" time I intend to work my way through my old copy of Teach Yourself C and the several Objective-C books I own. While I do play with various languages and tools, from AppleScript to PHP, I've never managed to master Objective-C — which is something I want to do. As I've written several times, knowing simple coding techniques is a practical skill and one that helps learn problem solving strategies. Even my use of AppleScript and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) on a regular basis helps remind me to tackle problems in distinct steps, with clear objectives from step to step. There are many free programming tools that students should be encouraged to try. On OS X, the first two tools I suggest to non-technical students are Automator and AppleScript. These tools allow you to automate tasks on OS X, similar to the batch files of DOS or the macros of Wor

Learning to Code: Comments Count

I like comments in computer programming source code. I've never been the programmer to claim, "My code doesn't need comments." Maybe it is because I've always worked on so many projects that I need comments  to remind me what I was thinking when I entered the source code into the text editor. Most programmers end up in a similar situation. They look at a function and wonder, "Why did I do it this way?" Tangent : I also like comments in my "human" writing projects. One of the sad consequences of moving to digital media is that we might lose all the little marginalia authors and editors leave on manuscript drafts. That thought, the desire to preserve my notes, is worthy of its own blog post — so watch for a post on writing software and notes. Here are my rules for comments: Source code files should begin with identifying comments and an update log. Functions, subroutines, and blocks of code should have at least one descriptive comment.