Skip to main content

Online Courses are For Whom?

When I have attended meetings or conferences and the topic was online courses, a great deal of attention is paid to the "target audience" for online education. The assumption is that online courses are ideal for certain groups:

  • Workers seeking to complete a degree.
  • Rural residents unable to relocate or travel to a campus.
  • Disabled students requiring accommodations.
  • Non-traditional students (meaning everything from older to unusually young).

These might be ideal "targets" if a university operates as nothing but a business, but even private institutions have a responsibility to deliver the best, most meaningful educational experience to all qualified students. I would argue the pressure on for-profit institutions is actually greater because there is a skepticism in academia towards the profit motive.

And what we ignore when we think of "target audiences" is that the descriptions do not reflect the personalities of the students.

Online courses, from hybrids that meet at least a few times physically to those courses entirely online, require students who exhibit some character traits that are not always present in college students. Placing an unprepared student in an online course increases the odds he or she will not complete the course. Low grades, dissatisfaction with the course, and other negative outcomes could lead a student to exit post-secondary learning.

Instead of targeting students by their locations, ages, or special needs, we should be considering if a student is ready for online learning. We should help students determine their preparedness for online learning. What are the traits necessary to online success?

  • Self-motivation,
  • Time management, and
  • Tech savvy.

Too many students believe an online course will be easier than a traditional course. Those of us with online teaching experience will tell you that the time requirements and effort are greater online.

Depending on the format of the course, synchronous or asynchronous, a student has to maintain a strict schedule. The students in asynchronous courses, in which there are no "live" virtual meetings, have a tendency to fall behind on assignments. Instructors can send repeated reminders, post an online calendar, and take other step to prod students along, but if a student doesn't go online he or she won't complete assignments.

I've had motivated students with no time management skills. They do want to succeed, but they've never learned to keep a calendar or weekly schedule. Teachers have always been there to remind these students of deadlines and expectations. I tell students, if you don't keep a calendar without being told to, an online course is going to be difficult. I teach students to put deadlines in their calendars on the first day of class. MS Outlook, Apple's iCal, and various free alternatives are ideal for this.

I have found that students who aren't comfortable with computers don't do well in online courses. I've had online systems that required downloading Java, QuickTime, or other support software to play media clips or edit documents. If a student isn't comfortable installing software or adjusting browser settings, then an online course becomes both technology training and whatever the intended content is. I've had English students tell me they learned more about Windows in my class than in any other! That's not what I want to be thanked for by students, though at least they valued the information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...