Skip to main content

The Employment Picture

Last week, the university program from which I earned my doctorate hosted its annual "visit day" for potential doctoral students. I wanted to e-mail each of them, "Don't do it!" Not because it isn't a good experience (it wasn't) and not because you don't learn something (you will learn something, mainly about humanity). You should reconsider a doctorate in the "digital humanities" because the job market is saturated, driving down wages for the few jobs that do exist.

I had a state college hiring committee tell me they could only offer $38,000 to $42,000 a year for a new professor. That's simply not enough money to justify selling a house and moving in my case: my wife is an engineer and technical writer with a great employer. Taking such a post would be impossible, financially. My wife's career and our overall security do come into play. Plus, we have already cut our expenses dramatically. Student loans must be paid, and they are the second greatest expense we have.

The hiring committee told me that they offered $50,000 or more only three years ago. With summer school teaching, that would be nearly $60,000 and worth relocating for a job I love. But, state budgets have resulted in far, far lower starting salaries.

I've written several times that it appears I'm going to continue freelance writing as my primary vocation. This week, I came close to two permanent posts, but in one case the company admittedly chose the cheaper employee and in the second case the university was unable to fund the position for next year. I read the economy is improving, but it is doing so at a painfully slow pace.

The jobs simply aren't there in my fields. That does not make things easier, since millions of people are out of work.

Would I like to be teaching full-time? Yes. Would I like to have a post doing research? Definitely. I wouldn't mind doing something tech-based or something creative (or some mix of the two), but the jobs aren't there.

My degrees include undergraduate degrees in English and journalism, a master's degree in English composition and rhetoric, and a doctorate in educational technology / special education (within the field of rhetoric and communications). Those qualifications are not like degrees in petroleum engineering or genetics. There are hundreds (600+) doctoral graduates in "rhetoric" each year and nearly same number of "educational technology" graduates. That means I'm competing with 1200 or more (most likely twice that number) "doctors" out there in my fields.

I have technical certifications, too. I'm Microsoft certified, an "A+" PC technician, and a certified Web designer. The problem is, as one retailer told me, "People buy new computers for the price of repairs." I tried to argue the point, but then I saw that a complete system (with "free" printer) was $500 at that store. Hard to justify repairing an old system at that price. Web design? People are moving from the traditional Web experience to phones, tablets, and other connected devices.

I am good at the things I do. I know that. I graduated with honors (perfect grades in my M.A. program, one B+ in my Ph.D. studies) and I've never doubted my skills either as a writer or as a tech geek.

Before a student considers the cost of a graduate degree, I suggest he or she consider the realities of this job market. Make sure the major you plan to pursue has a solid future with enough demand that you're not forced to take any paying job after graduating. I know too many humanities graduates working entry-level jobs that have no connection to their educations. I also know Ph.D. graduates looking for any work at all.

I'm not sure what the future holds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...