Skip to main content

ePubs and the Future

I have been working on various ebook projects and am frustrated by the amount of "hand coding" required to make an ePub book work well with several reader applications. When a book looks just right on one reader, it looks odd on another. Yet, we know the future is digital.

Most computer users are familiar with Adobe's ubiquitous Portable Document Format (PDF). The benefit of using PDF files is that a file includes all graphics, fonts, and layout information. A file appears nearly identical on every computer, tablet, handheld device, et cetera. A magazine in PDF looks like the designer intended — and design is the emphasis of the entire Adobe product line. Adobe's Creative Suite applications are for designers, not writers.

ePubs take a different approach, closer to the original intentions of HTML and similar document "markup" formats. Yes, you can put words in bold or change a few colors, but the intent of ePub is to allow the reader, the computer user, the ability to control specific font choices and even some layout choices. Content, not visuals, are the focus of ePub files, which are coded in a mix of HTML, CSS, XML, and plain text.

Both ePub and PDF have their roles in the digital age. ePubs let a reader easily change the appearance of a text to improve readability (the speed at which text is decoded), while PDF maintains original artistic intent. For example, most magazines are visual publications and the text is somewhat subordinate to visuals. A classic novel? The words matter. One way I consider which is the better format is by asking myself if a text would be appropriate in audio format. Audiobooks definitely don't emphasize visual design.

While I can create "perfect" PDF publications using almost any application on my computer, I can't seem to create an ePub that doesn't need some tuning. It is annoying and even absurd that software companies cannot accurately and completely generate a basic document format. Come on, software developers, HTML has existed since 1992 and SGML traces its history back to GML of the 1960s. You cannot create a good ePub editor based on more than 40 years of markup history?

There is no excuse for ePub generation to be so sloppy from most word processors, layout software, and XML editors. When a program gets the actual pages right, it doesn't include proper metadata. When the metadata are correct, the order of book elements is either incorrect or poorly maintained. I've tried InDesign, Pages, eCub, Sigil, and Oxygen. Each one is almost, but not quite, standards compliant.

We know that the ePub format, along with the .Mobi/PRC (Kindle) format, is where publishing is headed. Right now, ePubs are still in the early days, similar to the first years of HTML editors. That's a shame.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...