Skip to main content

Can Anything Be Taught Online?

One of the questions facing colleges and universities is "Can Anything Be Taught Online?"
The simple answer is, no. But some of almost every topic can be taught online. I ask the question, "How Much of Topic X Can Be Online?"

When an institution wants to take a topic online, it should ask the following:
  • How much of the course content will work online, in the time allotted? 
  • How will that content be delivered? 
  • How will knowledge and skills be evaluated?
  • What technologies will be required?
  • Do potential students have access to the needed technology?

While a school cannot have a veterinary surgery practicum online, they can provide simulations and much of the background material leading up to the physical practicum. Someday in my lifetime I imagine "robot-assisted" surgeries will be common. (They exist now, but are limited to a few procedures and there are physicians present.) Still, I'd want a surgeon to have performed "real" surgery, in case the robot needs to reboot.

We all watch plenty of experts without learning how to do what they do. That's one of the problems with non-interactive video or audio instructions. You need to do things to master them.

I tell my students that watching the Food Network for years has not made me better cook. What would help is following along in my kitchen and having real people test my real food. Most of us listen to music and watch performances, yet I don't know anyone who learned to play guitar simply watching Keith Richards. Watching isn't enough. You have to do what you want to master.

It is my personal conviction that we can teach most foundational knowledge and many skills online. We can even evaluate many tasks online, assuming the student has access to the appropriate technology. Yet, there are some things we cannot evaluate online.

No culinary course could evaluate what I cook at home. But, I could videotape myself playing an instrument for a music course. It is a matter of what is being learned and how it will be evaluated.
The best online education programs recognize that effective teaching of some topics requires a serious investment in technology and training.

To teach music, you would need video and audio production capabilities for the instructors. Yes, you could use pre-recorded lessons, but most instructors have a personalized style. Plus, a teacher could demonstrate specific skills that a students needs help mastering. Pre-packed content should supplement, not replace, the course instructor.

Some topics are technologically "easier" to teach online, while these same topics might also be "harder" to teach due to the evaluation method required. I can teach basic writing skills online, but grading essays takes much longer than grading math or science quizzes. Yet, the science or math teacher might need more technology to prepare lessons.

If even 50 percent of standard course content can be online, why not put it there? For "traditional" on-campus courses, having documents, handouts, practice quizzes, audio, and video online is a great idea. It takes time, expertise, and money, but the long-term payoff is a library of reusable content. Then, instructors teaching online and on-campus can focus on the needs of each class section and each student.

Personally, I do hope to have most of my course content online in a few short years. It will require time and effort, but it will help my students for years to come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...