Skip to main content

The Fads We Follow

Those of us specializing in new media, digital composition, writing technology or whatever we might call our courses and research projects sometimes fall into the same idealistic fad-think as tech prognosticators.

Remember interactive fiction? Our students don't. SecondLife? Not a single one of my university students has seen it or cares to see it. The list of gone and forgotten technologies seems endless. This week I made a reference to MySpace, something wildly popular only seven years ago among my composition students. Turns out, the MySpace of today is unpopular and doesn't even resemble the old version I knew.

LiveJournal? Yahoo Groups? Don't even try to explain Usenet newsgroups or Internet Relay Chat.
Remember AltaVista? GeoCities? Tripod? My students don't.

In 1992, I operated a Fidonet BBS, first with WildCat and then RoboBoard. Boardwatch was a thick magazine. Internet meant dial-up at 2400 or 9600 baud. Does anyone say "baud rate" today?

I read recently that podcasting peaked in 2007. I have no idea if that's true, but I personally switched to Internet radio apps two years ago. Again, none of my students listen to podcasts. They do love streaming video -- of network television! So much for the revolution.

My students don't live in virtual reality, few blog, and none had heard of Wikibooks until this week. They access Facebook and Twitter on cell phones. Theirs is a text-based world, connected in 140 characters or less.

The world I imagined never arrived and likely never will.

When I've attended conferences over the last decade, the talks and panels have focused on MOOS (Multiuser, Object-Oriented Systems) and other "virtual" settings. We had a futuristic vision shaped by fiction — cyberpunk was coming, we'd simply plug-in to a new reality. It would look and "feel" like the real world. But, that SecondLife meets real life never materialized.

My students tell me they don't want large screens and images. They want quick messages and sometimes a grainy photo sent from a smartphone. They use technology to supplement, not replace, their real life social connections.

This week, I even had students tell me they overwhelmingly reject eBooks for courses. Why? They want the physical books to mark, highlight, and even photocopy. I asked why photocopies mattered and the students explained a trick I never used: copy the end of chapter quizzes and discussion topics, because many teachers use those for tests. They use the photocopied pages to make flashcards or other study aids.
But, I'm still excited by the idea of an eBook with multimedia content. Just as I was excited by podcasts and streaming videos. My students? Not nearly as enthusiastic about rich media content.

As one student reminded me: "Google isn't cluttered. Yahoo is. We all use Google."

I need to keep that in mind, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...