Skip to main content

New Computer, Starting Fresh

The tools we use to write do affect our writing.

When I moved from legal pad to typewriter, I found I wrote more. I might not have written better, but I wrote more. Then, a PC clone (a Tandy 1000) entered my life and I found I typed even more. With a basic word processor and a good keyboard, typing was almost as fast as I could think.

Oh, and how I loved my Ambra PC. It shipped with an IBM/Lexmark keyboard. Computers contain less metal today than went into that keyboard. It was a metal case, with metal springs and levers inside. That keyboard was a thing of beauty. Only the Apple "tactile" matches the great IBM keyboard designs.

Maybe speed isn't the best way to compose documents, but I tell my students to get the words on paper and then worry about revising.

(Tangent: I do like dictation software, too, because it can type even faster than I can manually strike the keys. However, I can type on a keyboard anywhere, while dictation requires sitting in my home office with a headset.)

When I write on paper, it can be slow and tedious. Sometimes, writing is painful. Maybe it's because I hold my pencil incorrectly, or maybe the pain is the result of an injury to my arm. No matter what, typing beats writing on paper when I want to set ideas free as quickly as possible.

Paper is great for slow, careful thinking about what I am writing. I do write on paper when I want that special feel of going slowly and carefully. Interestingly, I write poetry, short stories, and scripts on paper and then type the pages. When I transcribe from paper to digital, I also revise the writing. Write, edit, type, edit, and then revise, seems to be a good process for me.

This week I will be receiving my new MacBook Pro. There is a mix of anticipation and apprehension. I know the computer will be significantly faster and more reliable than my 2006 MBP, which I love. But, it also has a different keyboard design, different port layout, and won't seem familiar. When I moved from a 12-inch PowerBook (best computer ever!) to the MacBook Pro, at least the keyboard was identical.

I love keyboards that feel like a typewriter. I like a long travel, a bit of resistance, and a noticeable click. It is a touch typist's dream. You know exactly when you've typed a letter. You can feel the keys as you see the letters appear. I want to save up for a Matias Tactile Pro 3 keyboard for my home office. The Tactile Pro is a recreation of the best Apple keyboard ever: the one that shipped with the lampshade iMac. (http://matias.ca/tactilepro3/index.php)

When I use a different keyboard, I feel like I lose productivity. I find myself typing slowly, struggling to find the "home row" keys and the special keys we use for shortcuts. Moving from a Mac to PC keyboard, I hate the positioning of some keys. As a writer and teacher, I don't want to feel lost because of a keyboard change.

The keyboard is my greatest concern about the new computer. I don't mind reinstalling software; a fresh start is a good thing. I don't mind the changes to the operating system as much as some people might. I went with the 15-inch "classic" MacBook Pro because I like the anti-glare screen more than the glossy new Retina display. But, the keyboard… you're stuck with the new "Chicklet" keys. I'm told this helps keep the computer thin, but I'd sacrifice a bit of thickness for a better keyboard.

Do keyboards affect your writing? Do they slow you down when they are poorly designed? Can a keyboard interfere with your thoughts?

Of course, maybe within a few months the new keyboard will be familiar and all will be okay with my universe.

Comments

  1. As technology advances, a writer’s tool changes –from simple paper and pen, to typewriter, down to computers and laptop. For writers, it’s important to have a writing tool that can deliver portability and can be useful for their multitasking tasks. But above everything else, they should prefer a laptop that suits both their budget and needs.

    Lance Vartanian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the “crunchy” feel of my desktop keyboard when I press a key, and the sound it makes. That’s why I’m not a fan of laptops, since I don’t get that feeling when I press the buttons; I think of them as mostly quiet and dull. I always give my keyboards a good cleaning every few months, which I also suggest, so as to properly maintain them. Turn off the PC’s power, unplug the keyboard, and turn it over to shake out the dust and dirt.

    Benita Bolland

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...