Skip to main content

Word Processing Skills

Monday night, I spent an hour reviewing basic Word skills with my students. One student asked why she needed to learn the "right" way to use Word, when nobody cared if you used spaces instead of tabs, hit return instead of inserting page breaks, and manually numbered your pages. I was stunned, to say the least, that anyone — especially a child of the digital age — could suggest software skills aren't important.

Learning to use any application effectively eventually saves time and improves your work. If you learn how to use Word moderately well, you save minutes a day, and those minutes become hours over a month. Learning any application's features opens up new possibilities. I tell my students that letting Word automate some tasks frees more time to focus on the words instead of the formatting. To me, this is a self-evident observation: I would rather spend time writing rather than formatting.

And then, on Wednesday, I received an official departmental syllabus that violated dozens of proper Word techniques. Someone used the spacebar to almost align text in columns. Headings of sections were formatted manually, instead of selecting styles. Margins and fonts changed randomly, for reasons I cannot determine. One-cell tables were used around all but two paragraphs within a seven-page document. The page numbers were all "1" because they were not proper Word fields. I could list another dozen formatting issues.

The irony of our department failing to properly format documents is depressing.

I've asked colleagues if they'd like help with some Word tasks. I offered to host a "brown bag lunch" for colleagues, during which we could explore some basic Word features. The response from an administrator was, "We don't have time to waste learning Word." It is discouraging when academics don't wish to learn a tool of the trade. Writers and editors use word processors. We should at least learn that the tools we use are more than glorified typewriters.

When I write, I use bibliographic software to assist me. No, it isn't perfect, but it still saves me hours. I have used EndNote and Bookends, both of which support "cite while you write" and automated bibliography creation. A colleague told me that those are horrible "crutches" to use. Seriously? I'm sorry, but that's simply a distrust of technology, nothing more. If you don't trust the software, then check the formatting. I used EndNotes for my dissertation without any serious formatting errors.

As teachers, we should be role models. We often distrust technology because we don't understand it. The solution is to learn how to use applications effectively, recognizing their imperfections. I use Word's proofreading tools, knowing that software cannot identify all errors. I don't assume spellcheck is perfect, yet it helps me catch many errors as I type.

I'm frustrated that many people in communications and language arts don't want to master the technology we use. Too many of us don't try to develop basic or intermediate skills, much less mastery. That any professor would suggest there's no reason to learn a technology he uses daily leaves me disillusioned.

And we wonder why employers consider students unprepared for the modern workplace. We have modeled an almost proud ignorance of technology, so our students assume nobody bothers to learn the "right" way to use office applications.

Whatever software you use for daily work, try to learn more about it; discover how efficient use of an application can improve your life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...