Skip to main content

What Computing Can and Could Do…

Computers have changed writing education, but many writing teachers wonder if technology is now turning into a threat. Too many politicians, administrators, and non-profit foundations are rushing to embrace technologies such as MOOCs and adaptive tutoring without skepticism. What is the balance between too little and too much faith in technology?

The question of what computing technology can and cannot do for writing students is something we need to consider — as well as whether or not some of these tasks should be done (by a computer or a human).

1) Formatting. I cannot remember the intricacies of APA or MLA, so I use Bookends with my writing tools. Even Word has improved its basic bibliography formatter to the point I catch few minor errors when I triple check the entries.

Yes, I do tell my students to double and triple check citations and bibliographies, but I also demonstrate Bookends, EndNote, RefWords, and Word's built-in tools. The time saved lets a writer focus on content. We claim ideas matter more than formatting, but we also know editors will reject a paper with sloppy formatting.

2) Grammar, spelling, and mechanics. The quality of automated writing tools has improved dramatically in the last 30 years. I use Grammarian Pro on the Mac and love it. Again, we know the tools are imperfect, but to assume they might never be better than I am would be presumptuous. How often do you receive a document that a basic spelling and grammar check would have improved?

Anyone else use dictation software? The software is getting great at determining "too, to, two" and even using "who" and "whom" properly. My software speaks up and says, "Grammar error." That's either annoying or impressive, but it certainly improves my writing.

3) Fact checking. Yes, there are research projects that demonstrate "fact checks" of papers. Imagine going line-by-line through papers and marking the contents as fact, disputed fact, incorrect fact, or opinion. The technology exists for software to do this very task. Already, law firms use computers to expedite discovery research.
The Truth Teller prototype was built and runs with a combination of several technologies - some new, some very familiar. We've combined video and audio extraction with a speech-to-text technology to search a database of facts and fact checks. The Post also worked with Dan Schultz, creator of Truth Goggles, as he helped consult and shared his knowledge of real-time fact checking. We are effectively taking in video, converting the audio to text, matching that text to our database, and then displaying, in real time, what's true and what's false. The key to the project's success is building an authoritative database - our goal is to identify falsehoods, not create more of them.

<technical_details>

We are transcribing videos using Microsoft Audio Video indexing service (MAVIS) technology. MAVIS is a Windows Azure application which uses Deep Neural Net (DNN) based speech recognition technology to convert audio signals into words. Using this service, we are extracting audio from videos and saving the information in our Lucene search index as a transcript. We are then looking for the facts in the transcription. Finding distinct phrases to match is difficult. Instead, we are focusing on patterns.

We are using approximate string matching, or a fuzzy string searching algorithm. We are implemented a modified version Rabin-Karp using Levenshtein distance algorithm. This will be modified to recognize paraphrasing and negative connotations in the future.
— http://www.knightfoundation.org/blogs/knightblog/2013/1/29/debuting-truth-teller-washington-post-real-time-lie-detection-service-your-service-not-quite-yet/
4) Plagiarism detection. Several services already exist that compare submitted papers to a database of existing works. No human could compare every line of a document to other documents. If a paper is factually correct, it can still be a "borrowed" work that doesn't deserve a passing grade.

TurnItIn and other plagiarism detectors are imperfect, but the more data they receive the better they will be at detection. False positives are also a problem, because students stumble with citation formats. Ideally, the plagiarism detectors will improve enough to recognize when a student was trying to cite a source. Honest errors in formatting might also be reduced with formatting tools mentioned earlier.

5) Grading. Okay, robo-grading scares teachers. You can find a lot of articles and essays on this technology. Someday, the technology will work — at least well enough for a first-pass. The reality is, bad writing probably can be detected by software. A human should always verify the results of computer-based grading tools, yet the tools can save time.

I use basic grading tools to recognize common problems. The software is okay, and saves me several hours. As long as we recognize what software can and cannot do as a "robo-grader" we can refine our own processes.

Combine a "truth detector" with plagiarism software and e-grading applications… we start to approach an evaluator of at least acceptable competence.

Technology isn't going to replace the writing teacher, but it certainly will help us a lot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...