Skip to main content

Using a Database to Manage Writing

I encourage writers, including my students, to imagine creative ways to use technology to support writing. Many aspiring writers keep logs of what they have written, to where they have submitted works, and when works have been published or produced. 

My magazine columns for one publisher are listed in a basic Excel spreadsheet. Sure, this is using the system as a database, but a list of almost 100 columns doesn't require a database. The spreadsheet column headings are: Column Number, Date Submitted, Date Published, Title, Slug, and Notes. The publication dates trail the submission dates by a month to three months. I thought about adding a "Word Count" column, since I'm paid by the word, but the columns are consistently 1000 words, give or take a few. 

Tracking scripts, however, requires more than a spreadsheet. That's because I might have nine or ten works submitted at any moment. Acceptance or rejection might come six months to a year after sending a work to a production company. Many producers prohibit multiple submissions of a work, so you can't send a script to three producers and hope for the best. As soon as a producer does reject a script, though, you want to send it out to the next possible producer. 

FileMaker Pro "Manuscript Tracker 2.0"

Scripts have complex contractual agreements that make traditional publishing look simple. Yes, there's an author's royalty, but there are also residual payments to the first production company, residuals to any dramaturg, flat payments to designers, and more. 

When I said that you need basic algebra skills to make sure royalties are accurate, a colleague laughed. How hard can calculating a percentage of ticket sales be?

The traditional royalty is 5 percent of 90 percent of the weighted average ticket price, assuming an 80 percent box office sales through (whether the theater fills 80 percent of seats or not). Remember that "subscribers" and "educational" ticket holders pay lower admission rates, too. You need to know the ticket prices, the number sold at each face value, and other variables. 
Other royalty rates include a flat percentage on gross ticket sales, a percentage of net ticket sales (which leads producers to claim all sorts of expenses), and a flat fee per performance. There are mix-and-match approaches to these royalties, too. I like to have a guaranteed minimum per show, but also the five percent royalty on gross, whichever is greater per show. 
If a show is being performed at more than one venue, and that is every playwright's dream, you have to track these agreements for every performance. Or, if you get lucky, your agent and publisher handle the royalty collection. 
Because I assign residual rights to others, including the first production company to develop a work, I have to track what I am due, then calculate how much of my royalty must be shared with others. Again, too much to track (for me) on paper. I'd lose the paper, anyway. Instead, I have a table of residuals by work. 
My database design links works to producers and publishers. It then links those business relationships to contract terms. There's more, but overall the system makes my life (and my wife's life) much easier. With a few mouse clicks or touches on the iPad, we can see a summary of all the complex terms and agreements associated with a script. 

Technology… letting me focus on writing instead of the business of writing. 

Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...