Skip to main content

Loyal, but Frustrated Apple Fan

English: The logo for Apple Computer, now Appl...
English: The logo for Apple Computer, now Apple Inc.. The design of the logo started in 1977 designed by Rob Janoff with the rainbow color theme used until 1999 when Apple stopped using the rainbow color theme and used a few different color themes for the same design. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Apple needs a revamp. It has turned into a big phone maker, with little side hobbies in computing, software, and television. Sure, by any metric, the computing and software side is huge, but these feel like afterthoughts at the current Apple Inc.

Apple Computer is no more, I realize, and the computer world today is nothing like the 1980s or even 2000, when a desktop computer was necessary for basic work. But, someone has to code and create content. To create content requires a big, powerful, computer.

I have some suggestions for Apple, which are unlikely to be read.

Spin off the software so it becomes the primary focus of a stand-alone company or two companies. In fact, two is better: business apps and content creation apps. Filemaker is out there making money. Turn the business suite apps over to Filemaker - the old Claris Works reborn.

A creative professional company could revive Aperture (maybe), give new life to Final Cut Pro, and keep Logic on track. Do something… instead of letting software rot with age. Creative professionals stood by Apple when few other users did. Give us back that focus!

Revive the Mac Pro as a tower with expansion slots. Lots of slots, cages for drives, and stop thinking "pros" want a mix of cables and adapters tucked around a desk. I want an internal disc (Blu-ray writing is a must), and I want Dolby 5.1 sound from a Mac Pro without external audio devices.

Make a real, serious, MacBook Pro that has real ports and slots. I can accept that I'll need an external Blu-ray/DVD disc drive, but give me a huge, fast, 2TB internal SSD, 32GB of RAM, and USB 3.1 with both major USB connectors (C isn't there yet). And for many of us it is too early to dump HDMI and DisplayPort - we use those on the road for presenting. SD card is a must for video and audio work. And please, don't take away my audio ports!

We need a real, USB 3 / Thunderbolt 3 Cinema Display.

Clean up the product line, overall. I want a machine for content creation, and that content sells your iPhones and iPads. Prove you care about the professional market, or at least spin-off those product lines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...