Skip to main content

Loyal, but Frustrated Apple Fan

English: The logo for Apple Computer, now Appl...
English: The logo for Apple Computer, now Apple Inc.. The design of the logo started in 1977 designed by Rob Janoff with the rainbow color theme used until 1999 when Apple stopped using the rainbow color theme and used a few different color themes for the same design. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Apple needs a revamp. It has turned into a big phone maker, with little side hobbies in computing, software, and television. Sure, by any metric, the computing and software side is huge, but these feel like afterthoughts at the current Apple Inc.

Apple Computer is no more, I realize, and the computer world today is nothing like the 1980s or even 2000, when a desktop computer was necessary for basic work. But, someone has to code and create content. To create content requires a big, powerful, computer.

I have some suggestions for Apple, which are unlikely to be read.

Spin off the software so it becomes the primary focus of a stand-alone company or two companies. In fact, two is better: business apps and content creation apps. Filemaker is out there making money. Turn the business suite apps over to Filemaker - the old Claris Works reborn.

A creative professional company could revive Aperture (maybe), give new life to Final Cut Pro, and keep Logic on track. Do something… instead of letting software rot with age. Creative professionals stood by Apple when few other users did. Give us back that focus!

Revive the Mac Pro as a tower with expansion slots. Lots of slots, cages for drives, and stop thinking "pros" want a mix of cables and adapters tucked around a desk. I want an internal disc (Blu-ray writing is a must), and I want Dolby 5.1 sound from a Mac Pro without external audio devices.

Make a real, serious, MacBook Pro that has real ports and slots. I can accept that I'll need an external Blu-ray/DVD disc drive, but give me a huge, fast, 2TB internal SSD, 32GB of RAM, and USB 3.1 with both major USB connectors (C isn't there yet). And for many of us it is too early to dump HDMI and DisplayPort - we use those on the road for presenting. SD card is a must for video and audio work. And please, don't take away my audio ports!

We need a real, USB 3 / Thunderbolt 3 Cinema Display.

Clean up the product line, overall. I want a machine for content creation, and that content sells your iPhones and iPads. Prove you care about the professional market, or at least spin-off those product lines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Human Readers for Tests

As readers of my blogs know, I'm never opposed to using technology when it is an effective tool. I am opposed to the blind embrace of the latest trends without critical examination of the potential side effects. Computer-assisted grading, I can endorse to some extent because I use software to help me analyze student papers — and my own writings. But, I cannot and will not endorse any system that gives weight to the computer-based scoring. If you're a teacher, consider this petition: http://humanreaders.org/petition/index.php Now, I also want to add a critical comment on human graders. If the graders of standardized tests are using rigid scoring rubrics, they are little better than software algorithms. Bad grading is bad grading. Inflexible = bad. Again, I am not opposed to using a computer for fact checking, some plagiarism verification, and as formatting aids. Computers can and do help many of us write more effectively. But, I don't use computers to grade pape...

Podcasts and Internet Radio

You must read Podcasting News if you are interested in podcasts! The New York Times has NYTimes Podcasts covering almost every area of interest. For anyone and everyone, podcast.net is a directory of professional and amateur podcasts. Unfortunately, many podcasts come and go too quickly and the directory links to some ghost sites. For October 30, 2007, we were instructed: In your blog: listen to some podcasts and analyze different aspects of the production quality of these podcasts; then, reflect on ways that you could use writing to create podcasts or coursecasts; brainstorm some ideas for creating your own podcast: an interview, presentation... I am a fan of Internet Radio, podcasting, and pretty much all things resembling "radio" in any form. For November 6, we have been asked to create a podcast of some form, and I certainly don't see a problem creating a theatrical production of some sort. Podcasting has the convenience that most Web tools lack. A podcast ...