Skip to main content

Software That Feels Wrong

Original 1984 Macintosh desktop
Original 1984 Macintosh desktop (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
You look at the screen. You wonder what is wrong. The program or app does what it should do, but for some reason you don't like to use the software.

Something feels wrong with the application. 

I have been trying WriterDuet (https://writerduet.com) and for the longest time I couldn't pin down why I didn't like the application compared to Final Draft or Screenwriter. Technically, the program does what it should and has some excellent collaboration features. But I don't enjoy using it. 

I used to love Screenwriter (http://www.screenplay.com) and eagerly await version 6.5 for the Macintosh. Version 6.x has felt like a partial port (it is) to OS X and macOS for some time. I know the problem is that the "widgets" used for the user interface are not Apple's widgets for the current operating systems. It's slightly annoying, but I still like Screenwriter. In my ideal world, 6.5 is so great that I go back to Screenwriter as my primary screenwriting tool. 

What I — and other users — dislike about Screenwriter are some subtle UI issues. Overall, they are too minor to make anyone stop using the program. You notice, you dream of some polishing of the UI, but it doesn't distract you.

Final Draft (https://www.finaldraft.com) is streamlined beauty. It's how an application on macOS should look. I like the colorful, large icons. I wish Apple would return to icons that aren't monochrome and difficult to read. FD 10's interface helps me writer because I can see, quickly, what is or is not activated. 

This is WriterDuet's toolbar:


I can't read it. I've experimented with the colors and tried to get a combination that's better than this blue-gray scheme. But the scheme resets on me. And the icons, even with text, are hard to see and read on my large monitor. They don't scale up or adjust to the high DPI of my screen. 

This is a bad user experience. 

Compare the bland toolbar to Final Draft 10:

And here are all the icons available in FD:



Hands down, the colorful, uniquely shaped icons win. Steve Jobs once argued the shapes and the colors of icons should both be distinctive. I never understood why Apple gave up that great UI philosophy. 

This is the current TextEdit toolbar:


Come on, developers. Let's bring back some unique colors and shapes to the icons. At least I can locate the standard "left / center / right" and "bold / italic / underline" icons in TextEdit. That's not easy to do in WriterDuet. 

The great irony is that I learned word processing and text editing back when there were no icons at all. You memorized keyboard commands and combinations of keystrokes to do any basic task. And I still like WordPerfect and miss it. I use vim and emacs without any problem. Yet, I want my writing tool for screenwriting to look nice. 

Something about the overall interface in WriterDuet doesn't work well for me. I'll eventually memorize keystrokes and not care so much, but when you are new to a program the menus and toolbars are essential. 

Surely I can't be the only person who finds some applications simply "feel" strange to use. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...