Skip to main content

Upgrades... Never Ending?

I am in the process of upgrading my MacBook Pro to a 500GB hard drive. (Let's not get too technical, since I know it's not "really" 500GB.) The one thing digital media do well is consume hard drive space.
This is the third or fourth time I have updated a PowerBook or MacBook hard drive. As with all new laptops, you wonder, "How will I ever use so much space?" The excitement of having twice or three times whatever you last had soon fades as iTunes, GarageBand, and iMovie eat the bytes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. InDesign, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, and Flash are there to help, too.

A colleague said, "Why not just store it all on the campus servers or on Google Docs?"

Okay, this entire cloud thing is nice -- for sharing some files and for backups -- but I am not about to put my projects out in the cloud. I'd never upload confidential files, and I certainly don't want some company to have my student projects. No way.

Plus, I'm not always online. I actually do use my laptop away from the Internet. Shocking, but there really are places without wireless signals. And I'm not about to pay for a 3G account just to always have a connection to my files.

Someday, instead of moving platters, we'll probably have monstrous amounts of solid-state drives. Maybe even in a RAID-like configuration for truly blazing speed. As it stands, platters are still necessary for what I do.

My students complain about the size of media files. It seems netbooks have small drives, regardless of the technology used. Those little Atom-powered toys are cute, but they aren't meant to edit audio or video. The drives fill up, the RAM is too limited, and processors are about power consumption (long, long battery life) instead of computing power. I'm not even sure if there are netbooks with dedicated video.

The reality is that data will keep growing. I'll update to HD quality video, better sound, and suddenly my screencasts and video presentations will double or triple in size. Technology moves ahead, and I'll end up with yet another upgrade.

On the positive side, updating the hard drive is a cinch with the Macs. Sure, it's a pain to remove a dozen screws, but it's about 20 minutes from start to finish. With a FireWire case, you can clone the drive or migrate the data in an hour or so. If you simply copy the data, eSATA rocks in even less time.

Upgrades are part of being digital. Beats buying a new computer every two years.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...