Skip to main content

Annoyances with Blackboard

Every instructor using a course management system / learning management system (CMS/LMS) ends up discovering the various annoyances unique to the system. Some have more annoyances than others, which is one reason I prefer Moodle but still have plenty of "kind suggestions" for the developers. I also like that if you do spot a problem with Moodle, you can participate in fixing the weakness or error.

Then, there is Blackboard. It isn't one or two annoyances. It seems there's one annoyance after another when I try to deal with Blackboard. The hosted Blackboard Learn system we use at my university seems to be one challenge after another. I don't know why, but it is more annoying than the previous versions of Blackboard and its other products I have used as an instructor.

Tonight's list of complaints is incomplete, a mere hint of my frustrations.

1) Editing announcements, discussion threads, and other content is inconsistent. I've tried editing the HTML directly, but after you save the content the "helpful" BB system alters your code. Paragraphs and breaks are changed, magically, into "div" tags with improper spacing. The paragraphs you carefully crafted? Gone. Other HTML tags are also changed. Why? BB supposedly supports HTML, so why "fix" my code?

2) The "Journal" mode doesn't include the same editor as other editing windows. Yet, clearly it stores some code because when students cut-n-paste text from other sources, I can tell. I'd like to have access to HTML in the journals.

3) I want to upload dozens of files for students to download. This files are sample essays. This would be "easy" (at least easier) if our server supported WebDAV and allowed students to access the folders remotely, but even that would be a challenge for students. So, I'm stuck uploading files to a folder, creating a "folder item" for students, and then creating links one at a time to the files I uploaded. I could upload one compressed (".zip") file for every dozen or so samples, but students only need to choose a few files.

The last of these annoyances is the biggest. If any reader of this blog knows how I can upload an entire directory of files and allows students access to these with minimal effort, I'd appreciate it. My method is working, but why should I have to create links to every file? The link method presents screen of fields, none of which I need.

Online education is always more work than traditional classroom instruction. Sadly, even when we aren't fighting the technology, the cumbersome designs of CMS/LMS platforms requires that we spend extra time to do basic tasks.

I actually miss the old Blackboard WebCT/WebVista platforms because I knew their quirks and how to work around them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...