Skip to main content

The Technology Black Hole of Free Time

Back to school means back to the battles with Blackboard (I've posted on that plenty of times). Even if BB was the perfect learning management system, there would still be the days spent planning and organizing online content for a new course. This week, I'm gathering the reusable materials I will upload and preparing new materials. By next week, the shell for the writing course I'm teaching will be reasonably complete.

My summer was meant to be spent learning to program in Objective-C. It was also meant as a time to finished a research project and revise an academic book chapter. None of those things happened. Life in the digital age doesn't seem to give us more time, but it does give us more potential tasks. My to-do list kept growing faster than I could complete projects.

Maybe it is a time management issue. I completed a lot of tasks in the last few months, many of them creative writing projects. I also am preparing a new website complementing my creative interests. But most of the projects on my list are incomplete.

I have four different website projects I wanted to complete. No progress on most of these projects. I wanted to spend time programming. Progress made, but abruptly stalled and it is difficult to get back to coding without reviewing the materials I read earlier this year. Use it or lose it seems to apply to programming. It's just overwhelming how much isn't finished at the end of this summer.

Computing technology makes it easier than ever to create calendars and task lists. Unfortunately, someone like me spends so much time organizing and planning, that there's actually less time in the day. My wife and I love lists, but the lists start to feel like a crushing weight.

I have to remind myself that finishing the projects I did finish would be more than enough for many people. But, I have projects that are years old on which I want to make some progress!

We created a blogging schedule. I wasn't able to maintain it. I'd start to get into a routine and another project would appear. Blogging, which pays a little but not a lot via ad revenues, gets pushed aside by gigs that pay more. Working on our writing website was pushed aside for academic work years ago.

If there's a better way to use technology to manage time, and output, I need to discover what it is. For now, life just seems overwhelming.

To start a blog, a website, or a coding project is easy. Too easy. How many sites are "stale" or "zombies" that haven't been updating in months or years? How many are forgotten? I don't want to neglect our sites as badly as I have seen others neglected. But, keeping online projects alive is overwhelming. Maybe blogs and websites aren't the future anyway. If that's the case, why do I have so many Web projects on my to-do list?

Back to school means that the online aspects of teaching will consume a fair amount of my time. If anything, the online course content takes more time, more energy, than teaching the old "face-to-face" way. Technology has a magical ability to consume hours. Those hours slip by even faster if you happen to feel "inspired" to create or update online content with new tools.

Technology is a black hole for "free" time. Especially for a geek like me. In the end, it leaves me feeling disorganized and out of control. So I update my calendars and my to-do lists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MarsEdit and Blogging

MarsEdit (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) Mailing posts to blogs, a practice I adopted in 2005, allows a blogger like me to store copies of draft posts within email. If Blogger , WordPress, or the blogging platform of the moment crashes or for some other reason eats my posts, at least I have the original drafts of most entries. I find having such a nicely organized archive convenient — much easier than remembering to archive posts from Blogger or WordPress to my computer. With this post, I am testing MarsEdit from Red Sweater Software based on recent reviews, including an overview on 9to5Mac . Composing posts an email offers a fast way to prepare draft blogs, but the email does not always work well if you want to include basic formatting, images, and links to online resources. Submitting to Blogger via Apple Mail often produced complex HTML with unnecessary font and paragraph formatting styles. Problems with rich text led me to convert blog entries to plaintext in Apple Mail

Learning to Program

Late last night I installed the update to Apple's OS X programming tool suite, Xcode 4. This summer, in my "free" time I intend to work my way through my old copy of Teach Yourself C and the several Objective-C books I own. While I do play with various languages and tools, from AppleScript to PHP, I've never managed to master Objective-C — which is something I want to do. As I've written several times, knowing simple coding techniques is a practical skill and one that helps learn problem solving strategies. Even my use of AppleScript and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) on a regular basis helps remind me to tackle problems in distinct steps, with clear objectives from step to step. There are many free programming tools that students should be encouraged to try. On OS X, the first two tools I suggest to non-technical students are Automator and AppleScript. These tools allow you to automate tasks on OS X, similar to the batch files of DOS or the macros of Wor

Learning to Code: Comments Count

I like comments in computer programming source code. I've never been the programmer to claim, "My code doesn't need comments." Maybe it is because I've always worked on so many projects that I need comments  to remind me what I was thinking when I entered the source code into the text editor. Most programmers end up in a similar situation. They look at a function and wonder, "Why did I do it this way?" Tangent : I also like comments in my "human" writing projects. One of the sad consequences of moving to digital media is that we might lose all the little marginalia authors and editors leave on manuscript drafts. That thought, the desire to preserve my notes, is worthy of its own blog post — so watch for a post on writing software and notes. Here are my rules for comments: Source code files should begin with identifying comments and an update log. Functions, subroutines, and blocks of code should have at least one descriptive comment.