Skip to main content

The Technology Black Hole of Free Time

Back to school means back to the battles with Blackboard (I've posted on that plenty of times). Even if BB was the perfect learning management system, there would still be the days spent planning and organizing online content for a new course. This week, I'm gathering the reusable materials I will upload and preparing new materials. By next week, the shell for the writing course I'm teaching will be reasonably complete.

My summer was meant to be spent learning to program in Objective-C. It was also meant as a time to finished a research project and revise an academic book chapter. None of those things happened. Life in the digital age doesn't seem to give us more time, but it does give us more potential tasks. My to-do list kept growing faster than I could complete projects.

Maybe it is a time management issue. I completed a lot of tasks in the last few months, many of them creative writing projects. I also am preparing a new website complementing my creative interests. But most of the projects on my list are incomplete.

I have four different website projects I wanted to complete. No progress on most of these projects. I wanted to spend time programming. Progress made, but abruptly stalled and it is difficult to get back to coding without reviewing the materials I read earlier this year. Use it or lose it seems to apply to programming. It's just overwhelming how much isn't finished at the end of this summer.

Computing technology makes it easier than ever to create calendars and task lists. Unfortunately, someone like me spends so much time organizing and planning, that there's actually less time in the day. My wife and I love lists, but the lists start to feel like a crushing weight.

I have to remind myself that finishing the projects I did finish would be more than enough for many people. But, I have projects that are years old on which I want to make some progress!

We created a blogging schedule. I wasn't able to maintain it. I'd start to get into a routine and another project would appear. Blogging, which pays a little but not a lot via ad revenues, gets pushed aside by gigs that pay more. Working on our writing website was pushed aside for academic work years ago.

If there's a better way to use technology to manage time, and output, I need to discover what it is. For now, life just seems overwhelming.

To start a blog, a website, or a coding project is easy. Too easy. How many sites are "stale" or "zombies" that haven't been updating in months or years? How many are forgotten? I don't want to neglect our sites as badly as I have seen others neglected. But, keeping online projects alive is overwhelming. Maybe blogs and websites aren't the future anyway. If that's the case, why do I have so many Web projects on my to-do list?

Back to school means that the online aspects of teaching will consume a fair amount of my time. If anything, the online course content takes more time, more energy, than teaching the old "face-to-face" way. Technology has a magical ability to consume hours. Those hours slip by even faster if you happen to feel "inspired" to create or update online content with new tools.

Technology is a black hole for "free" time. Especially for a geek like me. In the end, it leaves me feeling disorganized and out of control. So I update my calendars and my to-do lists.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...