Skip to main content

Typography Bibliography

I love typography. For my contribution to an upcoming collection on the rhetoric of type, I consulted the following texts:

Bennett, Paul A., & Bruce Rogers. (1963). Books and printing : a treasury for typophiles (1st Forum Ed. ed.). Cleveland: World Pub. Co.

Berry, John D. (2006). dot-font : talking about fonts (1st ed.). New York: Mark Batty Publisher.

Bringhurst, Robert. (2004). The elements of typographic style (3rd ed.). Point Roberts, WA: Hartley & Marks, Publishers.

Carter, Sebastian. (1995). Twentieth century type designers (New ed ed.). London: Lund Humphries Publishers.

Clair, Kate. (1999). A typographic workbook : a primer to history, techniques, and artistry. New York: Wiley.

Coles, Stephen. (2012). The anatomy of type : a graphic guide to 100 typefaces. New York: Harper Design.

Davis, Graham. (2007). The designer’s toolkit : 500 grids and style sheets. San Francisco: Chronicle Books.

Dodd, Robin. (2006). From Gutenberg to opentype : an illustrated history of type from the earliest letterforms to the latest digital fonts. Vancouver, WA: Hartley & Marks Publishers.

AG, FontShop. (2014). 100 Best Typefaces Ever. Bath, U.K.: Future Publishing Ltd.

Garfield, Simon. (2011). Just my type : a book about fonts. New York, New York: Gotham Books.

Harrower, Tim. (1995). The newspaper designer’s handbook (3rd ed.). Madison, Wis: W.C.B., Brown & Benchmark Publishers.

Heller, Steven. (2004). The education of a typographer. New York: Allworth Press.

Heller, Steven., & Louise. Fili. (1997). Deco type : stylish alphabets of the ‘20s & ‘30s. San Francisco: Chronicle Books.

Heller, Steven., & Philip B. Meggs. (2001). Texts on type : critical writings on typography. New York: Allworth Press.

Hilner, Matthias. (2009). Basics Typography: Virtual Typography. Ava Publishing.

Hyndman, Sarah. (2015). The Type Taster: How Fonts Influence You. Type Tasting.

Jaspert, W. Pincus., W. Turner Berry, & A. F. Johnson. (2001). The encyclopaedia of type faces (Pbk. ed.). London New York: Cassell Paperbacks Distributed in the U.S. by Sterling Pub.

Loxley, Simon. (2016). Type is beautiful : the story of fifty remarkable fonts. Oxford: Bodleian Library.

Loxley, Simon. (2004). Type : the secret history of letters. London ; New York: I.B. Tauris.

Lupton, Ellen. (2004). Thinking with type : a critical guide for designers, writers, editors, & students (1st ed ed. Vol. Design briefs). New York: Princeton Architectural Press.

Macmillan, Neil. (2006). An A-Z of type designers. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.

Martin, Keith, Robin Dodd, & Graham Davis. (2009). 1000 Fonts: An Illustrated Guide to Finding the Right Typeface. Chronicle Books.

(2007). Made with FontFont : type for independent minds (1st ed ed.). New York: Mark Batty Publisher.

Morison, Stanley, & Brooke Crutchley. (1999). A tally of types : with additions by several hands ; and with a new introduction by Mike Parker. Boston: D.R. Godine.

Parker, Roger C. (1993). Looking Good in Print (3rd ed.). Chapel Hill, NC: Ventana.

Perfect, Christopher, & Jeremy Austen. (1992). The complete typographer : a manual for designing with type. Englewood Cliffs, N.J: Prentice-Hall.

Purvis, Alston W. (2010). Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles, 1901-1938 (2). Taschen.

Rabinowitz, Tova. (2006). Exploring typography. Clifton Park, NY: Thomson Delmar Learning.

Samara, Timothy. (2006). Type style finder : the busy designer’s guide to choosing type. Gloucester, Mass.: Rockport Publishers.

Spiekermann, Erik. (2014). Stop stealing sheep & find out how type works (Third edition. ed.). San Jose, CA: AdobePress.

Strizver, Ilene. (2001). Type rules. Cincinnati, Ohio: North Light Books.

Tholenaar, Jan, & Alston W. Purvis. (2009). Type: A Visual History of Typefaces and Graphic Styles, 1628-1900 (1). TASCHEN America Llc.

Tice, Bruce, & Nadine Monem. (2008). Font. The SourceBook. Black Dog Publishing.

Troung, Mai-Linh T., Jürgen Siebert, & Erik Spiekermann. (2006). FontBook, 4th Edition (publ. 2006). FontShop International.

Updike, Daniel Berkeley. (2001). Printing types : their history, forms, and use (4th ed., expanded. ed.). New Castle, Del. London: Oak Knoll Press British Library.

White, Alex. (1999). Type in use : effective typography for electronic publishing (2nd ed. ed.). New York: W.W. Norton.

White, Alex. (2005). Thinking in type : the practical philosophy of typography. New York, NY: Allworth Press.

Williams, Robin. (2004). The non-designers design book : design and typographic principles for the visual novice (2nd ed.). Berkeley, Calif: Peachpit Press.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MarsEdit and Blogging

MarsEdit (Photo credit: Wikipedia ) Mailing posts to blogs, a practice I adopted in 2005, allows a blogger like me to store copies of draft posts within email. If Blogger , WordPress, or the blogging platform of the moment crashes or for some other reason eats my posts, at least I have the original drafts of most entries. I find having such a nicely organized archive convenient — much easier than remembering to archive posts from Blogger or WordPress to my computer. With this post, I am testing MarsEdit from Red Sweater Software based on recent reviews, including an overview on 9to5Mac . Composing posts an email offers a fast way to prepare draft blogs, but the email does not always work well if you want to include basic formatting, images, and links to online resources. Submitting to Blogger via Apple Mail often produced complex HTML with unnecessary font and paragraph formatting styles. Problems with rich text led me to convert blog entries to plaintext in Apple Mail

Learning to Program

Late last night I installed the update to Apple's OS X programming tool suite, Xcode 4. This summer, in my "free" time I intend to work my way through my old copy of Teach Yourself C and the several Objective-C books I own. While I do play with various languages and tools, from AppleScript to PHP, I've never managed to master Objective-C — which is something I want to do. As I've written several times, knowing simple coding techniques is a practical skill and one that helps learn problem solving strategies. Even my use of AppleScript and Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) on a regular basis helps remind me to tackle problems in distinct steps, with clear objectives from step to step. There are many free programming tools that students should be encouraged to try. On OS X, the first two tools I suggest to non-technical students are Automator and AppleScript. These tools allow you to automate tasks on OS X, similar to the batch files of DOS or the macros of Wor

Learning to Code: Comments Count

I like comments in computer programming source code. I've never been the programmer to claim, "My code doesn't need comments." Maybe it is because I've always worked on so many projects that I need comments  to remind me what I was thinking when I entered the source code into the text editor. Most programmers end up in a similar situation. They look at a function and wonder, "Why did I do it this way?" Tangent : I also like comments in my "human" writing projects. One of the sad consequences of moving to digital media is that we might lose all the little marginalia authors and editors leave on manuscript drafts. That thought, the desire to preserve my notes, is worthy of its own blog post — so watch for a post on writing software and notes. Here are my rules for comments: Source code files should begin with identifying comments and an update log. Functions, subroutines, and blocks of code should have at least one descriptive comment.