Skip to main content

Falling a Week Behind - Excuses

I know excuses are inexcusable, and being even a week or two off schedule bothers me. But, the last few weeks have been miserable.

New Glasses. I've never worn prescription glasses before, but I ended up needing them to deal with some strange color separations and "starburst" effects I was seeing. The glasses ended up being incorrect the first time I tried them, so the optometrist had to repair them. I lost a week of computer use while struggling to see. Even now, I'm not used to the glasses.

Family Things. Let's just say that my wife's family will not be visiting from California. But, until Mother Nature's wrath was felt we had been rushing to accommodate visitors.

My Best (Feline) Friend Died. He was 16, and had been with me for a lot of years. Losing him was tough and both my wife and me; she even took time off work to care for him.

Not sure how any of this fits with pedagogy, but it goes to show that even the most obsessive student can get sidetracked by life events. The glasses prove that the visual aspects of the Web can trip us up, quite quickly in fact. The other issues were simply more stress and lost hours than I realized... proving students, including me, should work ahead!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...