Skip to main content

My Ideal [Online] Degree Programs Would...

As I prepare to assume the role of coordinator of an online (and traditional) degree program, I have been thinking about my ideal educational model. My ideal system would include online and traditional instruction, so many of the ideas I express below apply to traditional classroom education and online. Online systems might provide flexibility not possible for some traditional schools, which is why I am a believer in hybrid educational systems.

So, my ideal degree program would…

Allow students to switch between online and traditional instruction if they find online doesn't meet their learning styles or needs.

Allow students to take and re-take any online tests and lab practicums two or three times until a set deadline, encouraging mastery over merely passing a test. A mix of questions or problems would prevent "memory gains" from repeated questions. Three exams does seem a reasonable cap, though.

Allow students to move faster or slower than the traditional quarter and semester models. If a student is able to complete a course in half the time, let him or her advance. Technology should enable us to get beyond the "factory model" of twentieth century education.

Allow (and encourage) teachers to team teach more frequently, emphasizing each educator's special skills and knowledge when possible. Students would benefit from the audio and video lectures of noted specialists.

Encourage teachers to distribute podcasts, screencasts, and other multimedia materials that students can review repeatedly, at their own paces.

Encourage a greater mix of individual and group work, so too much of one or the other approach is not embraced. Pedagogically, too much group work can be problematic, but too much individual work also ignores future career realities. Technology should encourage a mix of approaches.

Encourage teachers to provide audio or video feedback to projects, in addition to traditional forms of grading and responding to papers.

Encourage students and teachers to experiment with the online space, instead of dictating what the space should be for every user. Some standards are needed, but customization is important for special needs accommodations and general comfort.

Encourage students to "meet" outside any schedule class sessions, virtually or physically. I believe meeting face-to-face is important, but virtual meetings are also useful. Too many online systems make online meetings difficult.

The ideas above are some of my desires for a degree program. Not all them will be possible in the short-term, but I hope to implement many of the ideas over my career.

Comments

  1. Online learning can provide new opportunities for higher education to individuals from all over the world. But online learning isn't for everyone, and anyone considering an online degree program should weigh the advantages and disadvantages before beginning a program.
    Online Degree Career

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...