Skip to main content

Word Processing Essential Skills

For the last couple of days I have been reformatting and revising a Word document I created and then passed along to colleagues. Unfortunately the colleagues used "brute force" to alter the formatting of the document. This formatting method rendered the automatic table of contents, title page fields, and indices useless.

Brute force formatting is when you override the style of a paragraph or word to match another style's appearance. For example, instead of changing a "Normal" paragraph to "Heading 2" for a section, the editor of the document simply increased the size of the text and applied "bold-italic" font attributes. As a result, headings created this way did not appear in the table of contents.

Such formatting was applied throughout the document. In once case, a bullet list appeared in the table of contents because the style was "Heading 3" — with brute force formatting to make the text appear like the "List Paragraph" style.

I was frustrated. I cannot fathom professional writers, especially ones with tech industry contracts, not using Microsoft Word features properly.

Microsoft Word, Corel WordPerfect, Adobe InDesign, Apple Pages, and most other text-based applications use "styles" to control the visual appearance of elements and document automation features. Every HTML/XML editor makes extensive use of tag styles and classes. Not using styles reflects poor writing habits. You cannot create effective and compliant DITA, ePub, or HTML documents without understanding styles.

There are things I find (or don't find) in the documents I receive to edit that bother me. The following list are some of the more annoying "bad habits" that increase the time I must spend repairing a document:
  • Misuse of styles or missing styles to indicate chapters, sections, and subsections.
  • Spaces and tables to align text that should be positioned with tabs.
  • Manually created tables of content, page numbers, and indices.
  • Forced page breaks using blank lines instead of actual page breaks.
  • Inconsistent spacing after punctuation, even though Word can check spaces.

We should teach students to use tools properly, in addition to writing well. Some of my colleagues argue that we need to focus solely on the words, not how they appear on the page, but the document design itself is a rhetorical act. A document's appearance and accuracy affects how the document is perceived.

The skills of organizing a document "properly" for software to automatically create tables of content, indices, and other features, forces the writer to consider the organization of ideas in the document. A table of contents is an outline. The indices are forms of "idea clouds" or "tag frequency" lists. When you think about how a document functions, you are also analyzing its effectiveness.

I received a paper with page numbers out of order. That implies a lack of organization and preparation. Yes, using a typewriter or writing by hand could result in the same problem. Still, a word processor will number the pages for you — and the order is always in series (unless you did something unusually creative with the fields). Copying and pasting manually numbered pages is obvious when you forget to renumber them.

Using "carriage returns" to force page breaks leads to other problems. I've received papers from students in which the page numbers slowly drifted down the pages. By page ten or so, the number was three inches down the page. Text meant for one page carried over to the next. This happens when the writer adds content to an earlier page without realizing the extra lines "cascade" from page to page. One more reason to use page numbers in headers or footers.

Teaching automatic formatting features actually relieves writers from considering things like the drifting page number issue. When a word processor does the "grunt work" of formatting complex elements, especially contents and indices, hours and hours are saved. If you consider learning these features in light of the time they set free for thinking about the content, it is hard to argue against mastering basic word processing skills.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. Forced page brakes using blank lines instead of actual page breaks.

    Did you want to change the word "brakes" to breaks?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word

Visalia Direct: Virtual Valley March 3, 2014 Deadline April 2014 Issue More Than a Typewriter: The Power of Word Typewriters still amaze me, especially the antique mechanical models. There’s something wonderful about the feel of levers, gears, springs and rollers working together to transmit thoughts into words. Typewriters possess a romance computer keyboards and touch screens lack. But, please, stop using your word processor like a typewriter. Word processor abuse mars many otherwise good documents. Bad habits people develop over time lead to documents that are ugly and difficult to edit and revise. The numerous excuses for improper word processing deserve dismissal. It does not take days or even hours to learn to use tabs effectively. Paragraph styles take minutes to understand and appreciate. Even a complex looking table of contents takes only a few mouse clicks to create if you construct a document properly. When you know more about your software tools, you also kno...

Digital Writing Ideas

Online composition and participation are always a requirement in the courses I teach. When I began teaching at Fresno State as a graduate student in 2004, I was one of the few instructors who required students use Blackboard on a weekly basis. I believe there are several reasons to use tools like Blackboard / WebVista: Students can read and respond to the thoughts of their classmates. I have a record of how writing (and thinking) improve during a semester Peer editing can occur online, in small groups. Students less vocal in class discussions tend to participate more online. Normally, I post a " Weekly Response Question/Topic " based on class discussions during the week. Students can then extend the in-class discussion online. Those who were unable to speak up during the class have time to reflect and post their thoughts, too. By requiring every student to post at least 50 to 100 words a week, they soon engage each other in discussion. I always use threaded discussions...

Word Macro for Word Abusers

I overuse some words and phrases in my writing. Most writers have some problem words. It isn't that the words should never be used, or that we use them incorrectly. We simply use them too frequently. The following Microsoft Word VBA macro marks words I should check for overuse. Also included are words and phrases I should avoid. Feel free to copy and modify this macro. I encourage my students to try this macro, too. Once you have the macro in Word, you can alter the word list to reflect your preferences and habits. Sub macWordsToAvoid() Dim vFindText As Variant Dim txtWord As Variant 'list the exceptions to look for in an array vFindText = Array("about", "all", "almost", "a lot", "already", "always", "along with", _ "anxiously", "absolutely", "as well", "believe", "certainly", "clearly", "definitely", _ "eagerly",...